Ginigathena Central collage (GCC) was started in Ginigathhena Town Mahakade in about 1913. Thereafter GCC contributed in an immense way to up lift the knowledge and skills of the rural students in the area. A gentleman named Gelioya Samarasinghe functioned as the head Master. It is stated that an assistant teacher named E.P. Rupasinghe served in this school and due to the increase of number of students the school was shifted to the place where the present Primary School is situated. It is stated that the new premises is a donation of a lady named Akkara Arachchige Lama Ethana.